What is Cortisol? Cortisol is a Corticosteroid Hormone produced by the Zona Fasciculate of the Adrenal Cortex in the Adrenal Gland. As it is produced in response to stress, it is rightly termed as the “Stress Hormone.”
- Glucose Level Regulation. Cortisol Hormone governs the Glucose Metabolism in the body. In effect, Cortisol is also responsible for stabilizing the Blood Sugar level.
- Blood Pressure Control. Cortisol controls the Blood Pressure.
- Emergency Energy Generation. As mentioned above, Cortisol is a Stress Hormone and helps generate energy for the body’s survival, during starving emergencies and stress.
- Immunity Builder. Cortisol boosts the body’s Immunity, thereby reducing its vulnerability to diseases.
- Memory Enhancer. It sharpens Memory.
- Pain Relief. Cortisol helps lower the body’s threshold of pain sensitivity.
- Homeostasis. It helps keep the body’s internal environment normal, a state called Homeostasis.
- Bone Metabolism Regulation. Cortisol controls Bone Metabolism in the body, thereby averting Osteoporosis.
Sources of Cortisol. As mentioned above, our body produces Cortisol Hormone when it is stressed. It is optimally produced in the body during the morning hours, while Cortisol level is the lowest at night. In the case of Cortisol imbalance in the body, its level can be stabilized with the help of Cortisol Supplements.
Cortisol Imbalance Implications.
- Hypocortisolism. Also known as, Adrenal Insufficiency happens when the Adrenal Glands do not produce the required amount of Cortisol. This deficiency results in Addison’s disease.
Excess of Cortisol.
- Hypercortisolism. The high level of Cortisol in the Blood results in Cushing‘s Syndrome.
- Impaired Cognition. High Cortisol levels may damage the Hypothalamus of the Brain, which may lead to cognitive problems.
- Impaired Thyroid Activity. It may hamper the body’s Thyroid functions.
- Blood Sugar Imbalance. High Cortisol Levels may disturb the Blood Sugar level and may cause conditions such as, Hyperglycemia (high Blood Sugar).
- Low Bone Density. An excess of Cortisol in the body may reduce the Bone Density.
- Hypertension. High Blood Pressure is another aftermath of excessive Cortisol in the body.
- Low Immunity. High Cortisol level means poor immunity, which slows down the body’s recuperation ability, while also making it vulnerable to various health issues.
- Abdominal Fat. High level of Cortisol results in high appetite and therefore, overeating. The accumulation of Abdominal Fat, apart from causing weight trouble, may also lead to Heart Attacks and Strokes.
What are Cortisol Supplements? They may be the synthetic form of Cortisol or some other derivative, influencing the Cortisol Hormone in the body. Cortisol Supplements are usually meant for oral administration. Cortisol Supplements aim to stabilize the Cortisol levels, excess, or deficiency of it, in the body.
Types of Cortisol Supplements.
- Cortisol Deficiency. Hydrocortisone is a key ingredient of Cortisol Supplements, which is used as an agonist in the treatment of Allergies and Inflammations, caused due to the deficiency of Cortisol in the body.
- Excess Cortisol Control.
- Phosphatidylserine. This Cortisol Supplement is useful in controlling the excess of Cortisol in the body. High Cortisol levels may damage the Hypothalamus in the Brain. Phosphatidylserine repairs the damaged Cortisol Receptors in the Hypothalamus. This keeps a check on Memory Loss, Age Related Dementia, and Alzheimer’s.
- Adaptogens. This category of Cortisol Supplements helps keep an eventual check on the excess production of Cortisol in the body. Adaptogens are herbs that help the body cope with stress, by normalizing the sensitivity of the Hypothalamic Cortisol Receptors in the Brain. This in turn results in normal Cortisol production in the body. Vitamin Research Products came out with two potential Adaptogens, Adaptaphase I, and Adaptaphase II. Adaptaphase I is a Russian product consisting of Siberian Ginseng, Manchurian Thorn Tree Extract, Hawthorn Extract, Echinopanax elatum, and Schisandra, which work together to control stress. Adaptaphase II is an Anti-Catabolic product with the herbs multiplying the stress relieving effects of Adaptaphase I.
- Cortitrophin. This is a mixture of Adrenal Concentrate and Glycyrrhizinate, a natural Cortisol like Extract of Licorice. Cortitrophin also helps reduce excess Cortisol production in the body by reducing fatigue and stress. Cortitrophin aids in treating Adrenal Exhaustions, while alleviating Chronic Fatigue.