When we hear the same lie over and over, we start to believe that it is the truth. Especially, when it comes to loosing weight. The fitness and nutrition industry is embedded with self-perpetuating myths, false promises, and down right lies, all in an attempt to get your hard earned dollars. Majority of the billions of dollars spent on advertising is directed at miracle cures, which feeds American’s quick fix mentality. The cure is education and we have listed the top 10 Weight Loss Myths.
1. 30 pounds in 30 days: Or any other massive weight loss product or program is just a gimmick. It is impossible to loose 30 pounds of fat in a month. What you can loose is water. Most quick weight loss diets simply dehydrate your body. Carbohydrates absorb water to be utilized in your body. Any low-carb diet is simply taking water out of you for your weight loss.
2. All Fat is bad: You want 25-30% of your calories coming from fat. Fat is an essential part of your metabolism, immune system, and transportation of neural impulses. Eating fat doesn’t directly relate to fat on your body. Eating an access of any carbohydrates, protein, or fat will be stored into your fat cells. We do want to limit saturated fats as high levels increase our risk of heart disease.
3. Carbohydrates make people fat: We started with low-fat diet and then went to low-carb diets. Carbohydrates are not the enemy. Carbs are our bodies’ major source of energy and the only source for our brain. Our energy balance gets off when we don’t eat 5 small meals throughout the day, and we start to crave carbs. When we crave them we over eat and our food then gets stored into our fat cells. Eating carbs in small amounts throughout the day is the secret to optimal metabolism.
4. Lose Weight by Starving: If I don’t eat I have to loose weight, right? We actually do loose weight when we starve ourselves the problem is it isn’t the weight we want. With the lack of energy, our bodies go to breaking down our muscle tissue for energy. Muscle loss and water (see #3) is where the weight loss comes from. The more muscle we have the more calories our bodies burn, so when we come off the starvation are metabolism is slower and we store more fat.
5. Don’t eat after 7 p.m.: What do people on graveyard shifts do? There is no time for them to eat. Other countries eat after 7 p.m. everyday and they are half the size of Americans. Our bodies need energy. Most people say that it is bad to eat a big meal before going to bed. The bad part isn’t the meal it is the big part. We need to eat every 2-3 hours no matter what time of the day it is. Your body doesn’t know the difference between 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. Your body can burn 90% of your energy as fat while you are sleeping as long as we are not starving it before we go to bed.
6. Salads are how to eat: We know leafy green vegetables are great for us so salads have to be the way to eat. There are two problems with salads. First, a salad with just vegetables lacks energy from carbohydrates and protein you need to rebuild your muscle tissue. Most salad bars do have protein you can add though most don’t have carbs. Salads are common ways that people eat on low-carb diets. The second issue is the extra stuff we add to salads. Dressings, bacon, cheese, and more all add excess calories that we sometimes forget.
7. Diet sodas help to loose weight: There is no single study that demonstrates that drinking diet sodas helps a person loose weight. The one issue with diet sodas is that they contain phosphorus which takes calcium out of your body. Long term, consistent use of diet sodas can reduce your bone density. Diet sodas in moderation are fine and water is always the best choice.
8. Measure results with the scale: As we have mentioned before most diets take water and muscle out of you for your weight loss. A scale will never measure whether fat is what you are loosing. When you are on a proper diet and fitness program you will never loose weight at the rate you do as fad diets. Stepping on the scale can be demoralizing though you are doing really well. I once trained a lady who lost 6 pounds in 6 months, though she lost 4 dress sizes. She still keeps it off. The biggest question you want to ask yourself is do you want false scale results or the results that make you look great in a bathing suit and feel full of energy.
9. Loose weight with pills: Some pills can support a person in their weight loss goals. In LIVE’s shop you will find weight loss supplements that aid in weight loss. Nothing will substitute for a good diet and fitness program. Any pill that claims all you need to do is take the pill to see all of your weight loss is a gimmick. Also, a lot of pill ads have a disclaimer on the bottom that says results may very and these results occurred with proper diet and exercise program.
10. You have to join a gym: There are more people exercising at home than at a gym. Also, we hope with LIVE you will find all of the resources you will need to get your results. No matter where you go you still have to create the lifestyle of 5 small meals throughout the day and a good progressive exercise program of cardio, strength, and flexibility to see your results.
Find out more about what a personal trainer costs