Your success depends on a good fitness plan. You have a plan, right? If the answer is no, you are not alone. The majority of exercisers don’t have a plan either. Not having a plan does one of two things, it is the reason your results seem to be out of your grasp, or the reason you can never get that last 10 pounds off. Having a successful plan is the key to achieving all your results and being fit for life. If you don’t know were to start don’t worry that is what we are here for, at LIVE.
If this is your first time on liveleantoday.com, your desire to get into shape is probably high. If you are ready to start a fitness plan, in just weeks you could have more energy, your body could start burning more fat the entire day, and your daily stress could be so much less. Who knows, with the right plan, you may even jump out of bed for the first time in a long time ready to get the day going. So, if you are ready to get started, we have laid out a step by step plan for creating your successful fitness and nutrition plan.
The first step to creating your plan we want to look at your obstacles. If you are like most people this isn’t your first attempt at getting into shape. I want you to think about what obstacles got in your way the last time. Was it busy at work, watching the kids, too excited and burned yourself out, or you weren’t seeing the results you wanted. For some of you taking the time to get educated on fitness and admitting you don’t know it all is a big obstacle. If you think that these obstacles are not going to come up this time, you are already setting yourself up for failure. Obstacles always come up, those that are prepared for them are the ones that succeed. Also, obstacles are normal. You don’t have to beat yourself up over having bad days. Being fit for life is dealing with all that life throws at you and learning and then improving.
Another classic self sabotage is the how we set the goal itself. Most people use the word loss in their goal, like weight loss or fat loss. We want to state goals in the positive, like increase energy, increase strength, and if weight loss is your main goal state it as the weight you will weigh instead of how many pounds you will loose. The more you focus of what you are going to have the more you will achieve it.
One more important aspect of preparation before we start your plan is the question “why.” You want to ask yourself why are you doing this. It is so important to truly understand what is motivating you. This reason “why” is something you will be able to come back to when the days get tuff. The stronger the reason why the stronger your chances of getting your results and being fit for life. I highly encourage you to write it down as well and keep it in a common place where you can look at often.
Steps to a Successful Plan
1. Vision: You want to take a realistic look at exactly where your health and fitness is today. Next, I want you to think about where you want your new fitness and nutrition plan to take you. Remember to state this in the positive. Where are you going to be in 5 years, 10 years. Once your plan starts to work and you are in better shape what do you see yourself doing that you are not currently doing now. At LIVE, we call this your inner athlete. Inside of everyone of us is the ability to do great things once we are ready to except how great we are.
2. Goals: We want to take our vision and now set some measurable goals to it. First, we want to use the SMART system, which stands for specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. Make sure you write your goals down. Study after study has demonstrated that those that write their goals down achieve more often than those that don’t. We want to make some short term goals and some long term goals. A sample short term goal would be completing 3 days a week of cardiovascular exercise for a month. A long term goal would be wearing a size 6 dress or fitting into size 34 jeans, in one year. At LIVE, we find that people that set goals that are not all cosmetic achieve all of their results more often. An example of a noncosmetic long term goal would be to achieve completing my first 5k road race, in one year.
3. Past Success: So often we are so quick to point out the bad things. Take a little time to remember and write down the things that worked for you in the past. These items will work for you again. Also, this gets your mind working positive again. What you focus on will be what you achieve. Remember, even if it has been a while since you were in shape, you are a great person and you are going to succeed.
4. Obstacles: As we talked before write down the obstacles that have prevented you before. For each obstacle write down possible solutions. If you need support, post your obstacle on the LIVE message board and let other LIVE members help you. There is a good chance that others are going through the same issues. One of the biggest mistakes people make is that they think they are alone, that they are the only ones having these problems. Actually, the minority are the ones not having the same problems as you. If you join the Live Lean program you can talk live to your own certified trainer who will work with you to overcome your obstacles.
5. Personality: Your success can depend partially on the personality you have. If you believe you are in control of your own results, that you are directly responsible for the good and the bad results in your life, you will have a greater chance of sticking to your program. For those that feel that they have no control and are subject to circumstances, the more support you get around you the greater your chance of success. Joining LIVE and truly using the message boards, certified trainers, and dieticians will be key to your success. We all have some of both in us. No one can do it alone, if you are planning working out as a lone ranger with no support you are setting yourself up for failure. Alone you always limit the success you can have. The most successful people surround themselves with support and that is the key to their success.
6. Honest Assessment: You need to decide on what you are exactly willing to do long term. I know you believe you can live on rice cakes and water for now, though there will come a time when you just are not going to do that any more. The good thing is that with LIVE’s fitness and nutrition programs they are designed for people to fit into any lifestyle. You want to make a commitment you can stick to for a lifetime. Anything less than that and you always give yourself a chicken exit down the road. The idea of being Fit for Life will achieve far better results even cosmetic ones, than any short term fix.
7. Support: As we mentioned before everyone needs support. Tell friends, family, and co-workers what you are doing and what your goals are. You want to find people that are going to be encouraging. So often we self sabotage ourselves by telling people we know who are going to make fun or us or tell us we will never achieve it. Also, signing up for a program greatly increases your chance of success. Naturally, I am partial to LIVE’s program, though it is amazing how putting money down on something commits people. I have been in the fitness industry for a long time now and so often when people quit paying for things they quit showing up. This is one of the reasons we created LIVE, as we found it was too expensive for most people to continually pay for a personal trainer and dietician, so we create our programs here to get people results at a price then can do for a lifetime.
8. Your program: You need to design your program with specific information. You need to know how often you are going to workout, what specifically are you going to do for your workout, and where in your schedule are you going to fit it in. If you join Live, we do everything for you except fit it into your schedule. Reminder, if you are having problems fitting it into your schedule go back to #7 ask for support. You want to incorporate strength, cardio, flexibility, and nutrition into your plan. So often the lack of results people achieve is because they only focus on one aspect at a time and don’t know how to combine them all into a lifestyle that is achievable.
9. Rewards: Take time to reward yourself. It is great before you start to write down what special treat you are going to get for achieving your goals. This can sometimes be the motivation you need to get through the tough times we all have.
10. Be flexible: Remember, obstacles happen. There will even be things that come up that you haven’t thought of yet. The key is not to beat yourself up. One bad day doesn’t do anything, bad months and years do. Being Fit for Life you are going to have ups and downs. The key to getting through them is support, use it.
Make it happen. The best thing you can do is start today. Waiting till later is just another obstacle keeping you from obtaining the body and life you have desired. Enjoy the new you.