Fast food has become a four letter word for dieters. If I eat fast food I am going to be fat. This isn’t necessarily true. Fast food can help put on some extra pounds, yet it doesn’t have to. There are ways to eat at fast food restaurants, and lets face it there is always going to come a time when you are in a hurry or just plain don’t feel like cooking.
If you have seen the movie “Super Size Me,” you are probably scared to death of McDonalds. If you have read any of our other articles, you will have noticed how important it is to eat 5 small meals throughout the day. In the movie the guy ate 3 combo meals a day. One combo meal has almost as many calories as the average person needs in a day. Now, take those times three, wow! Even if the item you pick isn’t the healthiest, the average person’s small meal is a burger and water. If you want a few fries take off the bun. One of the best ways to keep unwanted calories away at fast food restaurants is to drink water. The calories in soda are just calories you don’t need. One other important tip is getting your sandwiches without mayo. Mayo adds a lot of calories coming mostly from fat. LIVE’s Nutritional Plan shows you how to put fast food into your metabolism raising diet.
I am not saying you should eat fast food everyday or for every meal. When I was a single personal trainer my roommate ate McDonald’s everyday. He also had 5% body fat. This is because he ate 5 small meals everyday and had a good progressive fitness plan. Though he was thin if he would have kept this up he would have created other problems like high cholesterol and other problems from lack of vitamins and minerals. The key I want to point out is that no matter what you eat if you want to be thin you have to eat 5 small meals.
Listed below are just some fast food restaurants and the better choices you can make there.
1. Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich (no mayo)
2. Plain Hamburger
3. Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken
4. Exchange fries for a side salad
1. Jr. Hamburger (no mayo)
2. Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich (no mayo)
3. Plain baked potato with a small plain chili on top
4. Fresh fruit bowl
5. Low fat strawberry yogurt
1. Honey BBQ Snacker Sandwich
2. Honey BBQ Sandwich
3. Chicken breast without skin or breading
4. Sides of green beans, seasoned rice, or corn on the cob
1. Chicken Whopper Sandwich (no mayo)
2. BK Veggie Burger (no mayo)
3. Fire Grilled Chicken Garden Salad
1. Baja Style Tacos: Charbroiled Chicken or Shrimp
2. Baja Ensalada: Charbroiled Chicken or Shrimp
1. 6” Ham
2. 6” Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
3. 6” Roast Beef
4. 6” Subway Club
5. 6” Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki
6. 6” Turkey Breast
7. 6” Veggie Delight
Fast food doesn’t have to be the enemy. If you make good choices you can keep your metabolism going at your favorite fast food restaurant. If just takes a little patience looking at the menu. If you want support don’t hesitate to ask for it on our message board and live chat with LIVE’s Dieticians.