Every year people make New Years Resolutions to lose weight, get into shape, or fit into those clothes from a few years ago. This year, LIVE wants to support you in achieving your resolutions no matter what they are. The key to succeeding this New Year is your preparation before the New Year starts. By planning ahead you can have solutions in place to overcome the obstacles that prevented you in years past from achieving your goals.
Top 10 New Year Resolution Tips
1. Be Specific: Be specific with exactly what you want to achieve. Vague goals like lose weight or tone up have to ability to know if you did or didn’t achieve your goals. Specific also means not just what; it also means by when. Give your goals an exact date to be completed. The more specific it is the better your chances of success.
2. Write Down: You may think that writing down your goals isn’t necessary as you already know it in your head. As soon as, you write down your goal or goals on paper you add an extra layer of commitment. It is easy to forget or change the goal in your head and putting it down on paper solidifies it.
3. Buy Something: Pick something in the future to purchase. It could be signing up for a race that you are going to train for, or purchasing a trip that you want to get into shape for. You could also sign up for a membership to support your goals. People follow their money and putting money down in advance insures for most people they will do what it takes to achieve their goals.
4. Reward Yourself: Choose your reward for achieving your resolution before you start. Make the reward worth achieving. On the tough days remembering your reward may be the motivation you need to keep moving.
5. Set up Support: Most people fail do to a lack of support. There will be days that don’t go your way. Having a support system in place before hand allows you to have the people you need to get you through any tough stretch. I recommend both personal and professional support. Professional support so you know what you are doing and how to get there, and personal support to encourage and be there emotionally.
6. Have Fun: So often we take ourselves way too serious. Enjoy your goals and the steps it takes to get there. If you don’t find the gym fun, add days that you go hiking, biking, or running around with your kids. The more fun it is the more you will want to stick with it.
7. Be Realistic: Make sure your goals are obtainable. Nothing will discourage you more than to constantly see your goals out of reach. I am not saying not to challenge yourself just understand what your current fitness level is and what you truly want.
8. Be Accountable: Tell someone your goals that will keep you accountable. It could be an online personal trainer, a friend, or a coworker. Make sure you tell them to check up on you on a regular basis. Having to tell you current progress out loud is key to your success.
9. Positive Statement: State your goal in a positive way. If you want to lose weight, instead of saying you want to lose 25 pounds, state your goal as I will weigh 130 pounds. It may seem subtle though keeping things positive keeps your results positive.
10. Take a Picture: Take a picture of where ever you are starting from. As most changes are subtle on a daily basis, you will be amazed at how different you may look or feel when you look back 3 or 6 months. Looking back allows you to be truly proud of what you have accomplished.