To alleviate muscle tension in the upper and lower calf.
– Sit on the floor with your legs extended straight in front of you and the foam roller placed under the middle of your calf muscles.
– Keeping the painful leg on the roller, cross the other leg over at the ankles to increase the pressure (optional). Placing your hands on the floor slightly behind you, raise your buttocks off the floor until your weight is being supported by your hands and the area of contact your leg has with the roller.
– Slowly roll your calf over the foam roller to locate the tender area.
– Once you have found it, keep the roller positioned under that spot, allowing the weight of your legs to apply pressure to the area until the discomfort is reduced by at least 75%.
– Progress to the next tender spot.
– Repeat on the other leg if necessary.
Where you should feel it
You should feel the tension in your calf muscles relax under the pressure followed by further relaxation when the pressure is removed and normal circulation resumes in that area.