When we want to make better food choices were do we begin? The answer can seem daunting as it can be hard to understand what foods we eat that are not working for us and which one are a part of a healthy eating plan. We probably already know that fast food isn’t the best food choice though it is important to look at your complete nutrition program. Listed below are easy food choices that you can make today which will make you healthier and improve your fitness performance.
Many of these choices are designed for runners, joggers, or cardio athletes. These food choices though will work for an person who wants to lose weight or get back into shape. The exact same workouts that make you a better runner speed up your metabolism to support your body’s fat loss.
Food Choices for Better Health, Weight Loss, and Cardio Performance
1. Omega 3 eggs: Replace your regular eggs with Omega 3 eggs which you can get at the grocery store. Omega 3 eggs are loaded with healthy fats that increase your immune system and lower your risk of heart disease and some cancers.
2. Dark Beer: That is right you get stop drinking light beer for a good tasting microbrew. Dark beers still have many of the antioxidant properties that have been removed in lite beers. Also, you typically drink less dark beers which adds up to less calories than the multiple beers people drink of light beers.
3. Olive oil dressing: When you replace the creamy salad dressing like Ranch or Blue Cheese you can save up to 120 calories per serving. Also, all the calories in salad dressing like Ranch come from fat.
4. Salsa or Mustard: Ketchup and mayonnaise are two of the ways that people add lots of calories without even thinking about it. Salsa still has the antioxidant value of the vegetables involved.
5. Kefir: Though yogurt is a good source of calcium, most yogurts are loaded with sugar to make them taste better. This is assuming you don’t eat just the plain low fat yogurt. Kefir is a lower calorie option that supports your immune system.
6. Fat Free Milk: 2% of whole milk is just unwanted fat calories you don’t need. You will still get all the calcium you need without the extra fat with fat free milk.
7. Natural peanut butter: The oil on the top of the jar of natural peanut butter is good fat for you though it doesn’t always look the best. Your major brands of peanut butter like Skippy or Jiff add sugar to enhance the taste. Natural peanut butters are an excellent source of healthy fats.
8. Pomegranate juice: Any type of juice is going to have sugar calories so make sure that if you are going to drink juice it is juice straight from the fruit and not a fruity juice alternative. Pomegranate juice is loaded with anthocyanidins which fight the onset of cancer. You won’t get that from cool aid.
9. Roasted Chicken: You can get a skinless roasted chicken or turkey from the deli aisle to replace high fat deli foods like salami, pastrami, or pepperoni. Turkey and chicken are two of the lowest fat good sources of meat protein you can get.
10. Mozzarella cheese: Mozzarella cheese has a lot less calories and saturated fat than cheddar or American cheese. Using mozzarella is a great way to support the taste of food without the high fat of most cheeses.
11. Whole Grain breads: Refined or white flower pasta or breads lack the nutritional value of whole wheat bread. Your body needs complex carbohydrates and whole grains deliver antioxidants and fiber.
12. Trans Fat Free Butter: Regular butter is loaded with unwanted fat and calories. Many people switch to margarine which still has trans fats which are the fats most deadly to your health.
13. Sweet or red skin potatoes: The colored potatoes are loaded with antioxidants over the common white potato. Also, the skin is an excellent source of fiber.
14. Canadian Bacon: Canadian bacon has more than twice the protein and half the fat of regular bacon. Regular bacon is almost pure saturated fat you don’t need.
15. Kiwi fruit: It is good to eat a variety of fruit and if you are watching your weight you can save calories by switching from green grapes to kiwi fruit.
16. Turkey burger: You can lose 20 grams of fat when you chose a turkey burger over a hamburger. You still get the protein you need without the fat calories.
17. Peppers: We can get stuck in the easy to eat vegetables like carrots and celery. Adding more colorful vegetables like green, yellow, and red peppers to your snacks and salads can add more nutritional value.
18. Romaine lettuce and spinach: Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value it is only water mainly. Romaine lettuce and spinach are two of natures best super nutrition foods. Also, loaded with phytochemicals that fight cancer.
19. Meal replacement shakes: It is essential that you eat after eat workout with a mixture of carbs and protein. Also, meal replacement shakes can be use to support your eating 5 small meals for an optimal metabolism. Meal replacement powders allow you to get just the right amount of calories you want for your meal.
20. Green Tea: Green tea is one of the best antioxidants and comes with tons of fewer calories than any soda or flavored tea.